“When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land.
They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”
1. The trouble is, this poor scribe can no longer report what was said at Speakers’ Corner because things have changed, for the better. There are more speakers but your scribe doesn’t get to hear much of them.
Who are the speakers? Ray, Maria, Steve, Helmut, Mark the Grinner, Mirko and Mr Bashful, who has chosen to speak separately from the main bunch. He’s focusing on his pet subject, resilience, and I think we have all heard enough about that.
Maria, Steve and Ray weren’t here today. That was lucky for them because it was bitterly cold (for Sydney, that is).
It was Fathers’ Day today. This postcard first appeared on the postsecret website.
2. This scribe didhappen to hear Mark the Grinner criticise the ABC for advertising itself on the ABC, for goodness sake. “They’re preaching to the converted,” he lamented. This scribe wonders why the taxpayer-funded ABC doesn’t advertise the taxpayer-funded SBS programs, and vice-versa. Perhaps next week Mark the Grinner can explain why.
3. Mark the Grinner also spoke about tattoosand how they once meant something. He said young men getting tattoos nowadays must be living at home with their parents, because if they had to support themselves they couldn’t afford to get a tattoo. That’s the kind of clear thinking you get at Speakers’ Corner.
4. Mark the Grinneralso mentioned ‘The Trickle Down’ effect. Nuff said.
5. In our Unusual Creature Seriesthis Lowland Streaked Tenrec has never been seen at Speakers’ Corner. Not this particular one, anyway. But this Madagascan native has been to our Facebook page and thinks it’s tops.